Recreation Program Manager (Full Time Position)
Why Recreation Excellence? Recreation Excellence is Serious about FUN! We strive to assist in the development of happy, healthy, responsible individuals and families. Our team takes pride in our core values, which include: helping to provide safe services in safe environments, helping individuals appreciate their innate worth, to care about others, and to experience the joy of learning. We have the freedom and flexibility to try new things, create new programs, and come up with innovative solutions and ideas. While providing opportunities for professional development and additional certifications, this energetic management team works hard to create a FUN, upbeat working environment! Recreation Excellence provides opportunities for advancement, learning and certifications, and even staff recruiting incentives!
The Recreation Program Manager reports to the General Manager and works closely with the Office Manager. This position is responsible and accountable for developing and managing a wide range of community focused seasonal recreation programs and special events within the Recreation Department. This position seeks to improve the social interaction skills, academic abilities, physical and psychological well-being of the community citizens. Planning, organizing, promoting, monitoring, and evaluating recreational programs in the Thunderchild Wellness Centre. Liaise with community groups, organizations, and facility clients to develop community programs, promote facility usage, and assist user groups, in accordance with council’s policies & priorities, approved budgets and citizen expectations.
As a manager and salaried position, the Recreation Program Manager is expected to work a minimum of 40 hours per week and overtime as required.
- provides leadership and direction to staff and volunteers, in respect to day-to-day work, training, development & motivation, discipline and termination to ensure optimum utilization of resources
- recruits, and retains qualified personnel
- establishes and maintains a working environment conducive to positive morale, individual style, quality, creativity, and teamwork
- ensure employee packages are completed as per company policy
- organize staff training sessions for First Aid and CPR, health and safety, emergency procedures, instructor training and more
- supervises preparation of website and social media content, brochures, bulletins, press releases, program schedules and registration information, including images, and graphics
- oversees control inventories, requisitions, and maintains sufficient program equipment and supplies.
- prepares quotations and tenders as required
- submits recommendations regarding courses of action for programs, policies, and services designed to meet the needs of the company, community and region
- reports incidents and developments of an operational or political nature that relate to the recreational interests of the company
- provides creative solutions for resolving issues that promote positive relationships within the facility, the community, the partners and elected officials
- develops long term plans for community recreation programming needs and directs implementation of those policies, programs and initiatives, working in conjunction with community groups, school district and local advisory committees
- assists in developing the long term plans for the Thunderchild Wellness Centre (operational, capital, and staff training)
- develop operational and programming budgets for the Thunderchild Wellness Centre
- promptly and effectively responds to client feedback, inquiries and complaints with courtesy
- manages recreation programs that provides maximum benefit to the organization, community and its residents
- identifies the recreational programming needs of the community and ensures the optimum use of all recreational facilities
- administers, supervises, and evaluates quality recreation programs
- maintains records
- plans, organizes and conducts, training clinics and courses for staff and volunteers
- implements a successful volunteer program
- attend and successfully complete the 3 year Leisure Development Course
- attend all user group meetings
- maintain dress code and attire provided by Recreation Excellence at all times
The following experience, education & certifications are an asset:
- Grade 12 and Post-secondary degree or diploma in;
- recreation, or
- business management, or
- office administration
- Certification, tickets or formal training in;
- Microsoft office training
- Program registration and booking software
- customer service training
- standard first aid and CPR-C with AED
- WHMIS 2015
- valid experienced class 5 valid driver’s license (Saskatchewan)
- Experience with;
- managing or supervising at team
- Microsoft Office
- Word processing
- Excel spreadsheets
- Communication platforms
- program registration systems
- booking software
Required Knowledge, Ability and Skills:
- the principles, practices and processes involved in recreation programming
- the dynamics required for a professional, and political environment
- safety precautions necessary for the protection of the staff & public in the use of recreation facilities
- modern office practices, procedures and equipment, accurate keyboarding skills and extensive knowledge of computers including Microsoft Office and Registration & Booking Programs
- public relations & negotiation techniques
- proper form of business letters and business English, spreadsheets, and records management systems
- report writing
- knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition and grammar
- trained on CPR and Emergency Evacuation Procedures as well as WHMIS 2015
- customer service best practices
- to exercise considerable initiative and is permitted considerable independent judgment and action in carrying out the duties of the position.
- maintain harmonious relationships with government agencies, cities, personnel, staff and elected officials
- serve the company and clients with tact, and impartiality, while preserving confidentiality
- plan, assign and direct work of personnel and volunteers engaged in a variety of diverse activities
- take on additional assignments & special projects as delegated by the General Manager or the Owner
- be flexible and prioritize work to meet deadlines
- demonstrate empathy, self-direction, self-initiative, a positive attitude, enthusiasm and an aptitude to deal with people including, clients, guests, staff, and volunteers.
- maintain harmony among workers and resolve grievances
- conduct research and compile comprehensive reports
- handle sensitive and delicate public relations situations with a high degree of professionalism
- keep privileged information confidential
- communicate orally in the English language with customers, clients, and the public
- make decisions and exercise resourcefulness in meeting new problems
- maintain information files and provide information to leadership, co-workers and outside organizations or citizens
- produce written documents with clearly organized thoughts, proper sentence construction, punctuation and grammar
- review documents for completeness and accuracy
- work under pressure handling problems, tasks, and changing priorities which come up simultaneously and/or unexpectedly
- develop specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish work
- work independently, exercising sound judgment and common sense
- work effectively and maintain harmonious relationships with leadership, co-workers and elected officials
Note – The duties listed are not set forth for the purpose of limiting the assignment of work and are not to be construed as a complete list of the duties normally to be performed under a job title or those duties temporarily performed outside the normal line of work.
Wage to be determined based on experience and certifications. The successful candidates will require a Criminal Record Check and Working with Vulnerable Persons search prior to commencing work and must maintain a clean Criminal Record to remain on staff.
To apply, email email@example.com with your resume and cover letter!
The successful candidates will require a Criminal Record Check and Working with Vulnerable Persons search prior to commencing work and must maintain a clean Criminal Record to remain on staff.
To apply, email firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume and cover letter!